Self Reflection on Rotation Family Medicine

My family medicine rotation at South Shore Medical was a very humbling experience. As a PA student I saw firsthand how much service a physician assistant can provide for a high needs patient population. I grew very familiar with the concerns of impoverished patients. In addition, I gained a great deal of admiration for the sole physician assistant that provided care for these people. My preceptor Chana Meltzer PA-C was an excellent role model and a fantastic mentor. I learned quite a lot of medical and patient care techniques on this rotation.

One of the first things that we were expected to become familiar with is establishing patient contact on our own. I was already used to talking to patients on my own from my former job as a scribe at CityMD. However, this office provided its own unique set of challenges. In the past very few patients would question my role in their care and would be willing to let me interview them. This patient population was always inquisitive about my role and a few of the patients refused to talk to me because they did not want to repeat themselves to the PA. I found these situations quite rewarding as they allowed me to attempt various de-escalation techniques. Often the patients were understanding about my role in the healthcare team.

I did more than interview patients at this office. I was able to conduct a complete chart review while simultaneously interviewing patients. I reviewed old labs and drew new routine labs if the old ones were outdated. I typed out the HPI into the ECW EMR, confirmed current medications, reviewed PMH and PSH. After each interview I was given the chance to present my patient to my preceptor who always asked for my assessment and plan. I felt as if my input was always valued, and my preceptor used these moments to teach me.

In all, this family medicine rotation was an incredibly valuable experience.